Sunday, June 17, 2012

Furyk Lost It Late in the Round to Webb Simpson

Jim Furyk played a birdie free +4 round and he lost the lead late to Webb Simpson. Fuyrk struggled to make putts, and often left them a little too short. Furyk's putts were right on line, but he didn't seem to have good distance control. Furyk's tee shot on the long par 5 16th hole lost him the tournament. He hooked his shot into the deep woods and was forced to layup. Jim bogeyed, and even though he got out with limited damage, he is going to look back at that and wonder what would've happened if he didn't have his one real screw up of the round on the 16th.

Simpson played a good round of -2 which obviously was enough to win the U.S. Open at +1 for a total score. McDowell was 3 over for the round and didn't seem to hit a whole lot of greens. It as also somewhat disappointing to see Beau Hossler let the low amateur title slip away to Jordan Spieth, who I believe also competed in The Masters.

Overall, I am greatly disapointed that Jim Furyk didn't end up on top. This round was a nailbiter and had me sitting on the edge of my seat for the entire time. The one good putt Furyk made was to save par on the 12th. I thought that might've been the turning point, but it all came down to the 16th hole. I am disappointed that one of my favorite golfers let the tournament slip out of his grasp so late in the round. I think a veteran like him could have used a win the most, but I sympathize for his loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment